- Has your organisation or group helped its local community to take control of something that matters to people in their neighbourhood/area? For example, a shop, pub, creative hub, faith building or community garden.
- Have you supported people to get involved with projects that help keep money and resources in their area? For example, a credit union, local savings group or toolshare/repair cafe.
- Are you part of a co-operative, whether a worker, consumer or housing co-op?
- Do you employ and upskill a wide range of people in the community? For example, a digital inclusion project, car sharing scheme or green transition activites.
If the answer is ‘yes’, we want to hear from you!
The GM VCSE Leadership Group, in partnership with GMCVO, want to showcase activity that helps to create an economy that is more inclusive of those that have been increasingly left behind. The kind of activity listed above.
We are looking for a range of organisations across Greater Manchester who play a role in creating a more inclusive economy* to join us in a week of action taking place from Monday 4th to Friday 8th July 2022.
This week of action is the start of a more sustained campaign to build awareness of the part Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) organisations play in a building a fairer economic model.
How can you get involved?
We invite you to host an event or workshop, or be part of an event or workshop that we host during our week of activity that will:
- Showcase what you do and how it helps to create an inclusive economy
- Demonstrate how your community has taken more control or ownership of assets within your community
- Show what you and/or your community has done to overcome economic difficulties in your area
How we will support you
We can offer funding up to £500 for you to host an event or workshop (in person or online) that will showcase what you do, and share your approach. The funding can be used for things like venue hire, refreshments, volunteer expenses, materials and/or staff time.
As well as providing promotional materials that you can use to promote your activity through your networks, we will also help you promote your event among our target audiences; other VCSE organisations, public sector decision makers.
Why are we doing this?
VCSE organisations play a crucial role in delivering services to the public and supporting people in crisis, this is well understood. However, the impact of the work VCSE organisations does that contributes to a more inclusive economy is often overlooked. This needs to change.
Our week of activity will include a series of activities that will increase understanding of what an inclusive economy is. We will showcase practical examples of how this is already happening in Greater Manchester and share our ambitions on how we can make the region’s economy fairer for all who live here. We will demonstrate how communities can take more control of local assets to benefit many, including those who are disadvantaged.
If you want to get involved, click here to complete our expression of interest or contact Ellie Nixon at GMCVO as soon as possible so we can start planning.
Please contact Ellie Nixon (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about how you can make the most of this opportunity.
The final deadline is expected to be Wednesday 31st May, although this may close sooner dependent on funding available.
* What do we mean by Inclusive Economy?
GMCVO recently wrote a blog answering this question, you can read it here.